Faith in a Box
Chapter One
The
accident
I
awoke from the coma at 2:48 a.m. on October 19, 1992, thirty days
after I arrived at the hospital in the small town of Kokomo Indiana. My name is
Rick Leto, and the story I am about to tell is one many will not believe, and
others will doubt ever happened. I can only say that it is true to the best of
my knowledge, and to the best of the memories of all those who witnessed it.
I’m
told I was unresponsive from the moment I arrived at Howard Community Hospital.
My heart and breathing had stopped three times from when I was first found
barely alive, to the time I reached the emergency room. At one point, while
en-route to the ER, my heart stopped. It took several minutes to revive me.
Except
for pulmonary resuscitation, dedicated emergency medical technicians, a great
emergency room department, and as many will say, a miracle from God, I would not be alive to tell my story.
But this is not the whole story, just the beginning.
****
John
Polton, a Howard County fairground maintenance employee for the last 10 years
was part of the cleanup crew for Kokomo Indiana department of parks and
recreation. John was in his mid-forty’s with long hair, a scrubby beard, and a
protruding belly. He was wearing the same bib overalls he always wore while
working. These traits made it easy for those who knew him to recognize. It was
Sunday morning on September 20th 1992 when it all began
A Vietnam Veterans’ reunion had just finished
a long weekend event. At the other end of the grounds sat a-lone recreational vehicle.
John wondered why it was still here. It was
almost 11:00AM and all the other RV’s and most of the veterans had
left. He walked over to investigate and
heard an engine running. He immediately realized it was the unit’s generator.
Then it came to him, this is the Reed’s
RV, I haven’t seen them since last night.
Knocking
at the door, and getting no response, he began to worry thinking, with that generator running, anything could
have happened to them; while looking for a way to peer inside the RV, John
Spotted a wash bucket sitting under the camper. He grabbed the bucket, turned
it upside down, stood on it, and gazed inside.
He gasped as he saw three people lying
motionless. One woman was lying face down on the floor; two more people were
lying directly below the window he was peering through. John suddenly flashed
back to memories of Vietnam, and losing his balance he landed hard on the
ground. He sat for a moment until he
regained his senses, then he spotted another crew member walking several yards
away and called to him.
“Hey
Frank, call 911, there are people over here that need help!”
“Who needs help? What’s wrong?”
John
climbed to his feet, rushed back to the RV attempting to break open the door
while yelling back to his coworker,
“Just call 911 and hurry!”
Other
workers, who heard John yelling, began to arrive at the camp site, “What are
you doing John, what the hell is going on?” They all said.
“The
Reed’s need help, people are dying in there!”
‘What,
what are you saying?”
‘Look
through the window and help me!”
After
looking inside the RV, those that had gathered around were shocked at what
appeared to be lifeless bodies. Other men joined in trying to help John break
into the camper. Someone arrived carrying a tire iron and after prying it into
the door jam, both he and John finally forced it open. Entering, they found the stench of death and
human waste filled the vehicle.
Going
first to the woman on the floor nearest the entryway, John tried to find a
pulse, but she was cold and stiff, rigor mortis had set
in. Another woman and a man was on the
dinette table bed, the woman was in a fetal position, the man on his back with
his arm around her, both their faces seemed bruised, as if they were beaten.
Finding the switch to the generator, John turned it off. Realizing what had happened, he began to
break out all the windows in an attempt to allow fresh air in.
The
sound of windows being smashed was interrupted by the sirens of emergency
personal arriving. Other civilians had
entered the RV in an attempt to aid John when fifteen year emergency technician
Bob Hoard hurried in. Bob was a tall well-built man, sporting a military style
haircut. Bob had seen some bad accidents over those years, but nothing like
this. Behind him carrying the EMS supplies was partner Steve Ipolski. He has been
on the job for six months, but has never dealt with a fatal accident. Steve
began gagging at the smell of human waste when Bob told him, “Hold it together
Steve,” and then tells everyone else. “Everybody out, clear this vehicle!”
Before
he left, John told the EMT’s, “We found the generator running.”
“OK, we’ve got this.” By what he saw, and the
information he had just been given, his suspicion of CO2 is high on the
diagnosis.
Squatting
down next to the woman on the floor, Bob placed two fingers on her neck and
found no pulse. This woman has released
her bodily fluids, another symptom of CO poisoning, he’s thinking. Turning
to Steve, he said “This one’s gone, check that guy in the rear!”
Steve
sets the EMS kit down and moved past Bob and the dead woman to another man
lying on the floor next to the bathroom, he too is covered in vomit and feces.
“This
guy is alive, heart rate is strong and pulse is good!”
Another
EMT team has arrived and Bob instructs them, “Help Steve get that guy out the
back door.”
Moving
to the second woman lying in the arms of the other male, he checked for a
pulse, even though he knew her cold body meant she too was dead. Finding none
he moved to the man lying with her. He placed his fingers searching for life,
finding it he yelled out at the top of his lungs.
“I’ve got a live one!”
His
pulse was weak and breathing was shallow at best, he was near death. Bob
realized the only chance was to get him oxygen immediately. Grabbing the bottle
from the EMS bag, he placed the mask over his mouth, turned on the oxygen and
then screamed to anyone outside the camper.
“Anyone
out there, I need help!” John who had been standing by the door since the
paramedics arrived rushed back in.
“This
guy is alive; we need to get him outside into fresh air. Grab his feet and help
me carry him.”
Together
they carried the man outside, laying him on the ground. Getting on his radio
connected directly to Howard Community Hospital Emergency Room, Bob said,
“Howard
Emergency this is EMT unit 27.”
“This
is Howard Emergency, go ahead 27.”
As
Bob prepared to relay the information on this man, he heard another paramedic
yell from inside the RV,
“I’ve got two more here, both weak but alive!”
Bob
glanced back to the camper, allowing his concentration to be interrupted for a
moment. Then he began to relay the important information to the emergency room,
“I
have a white male approximately 40 years of age. I believe patient has been exposed to carbon
monoxide. Patient has shallow breathing
and is suffering from tachycardia. He has a heart rate of three
hundred; blood pressure is 90 over 42 and pulse is 45, over.”
“This
is Doctor Lang 27, that heart rate is dangerously high, you need to shock
patient back to normalcy with defibrillator. Be prepared to restart heart with
compression if necessary.”
“Roger
emergency one.” John ran the twenty paces back to his vehicle, grabbed the
defibrillator, and returned to the injured patient, and quickly hooked him to
it
“Howard I am attempting defibrillation…! Howard his heart has stopped, I am applying compression.”
Moments seemed like minutes and then Doctor Lang said, “What is patient’s condition EMT 27.” More desperate seconds went by when finally Bob responded,
“Patient’s heart rate is back, I’ve got him back Howard.”
“What is heart rate 27?”
Bob checked the rate and said, “Heart rate is 130 and pressure is 100 over 50.
In the emergency room, several nurses smiled but Dr. Lang was not going to celebrate just yet. “We have a gravely injured person arriving soon, let’s get ready!”
The doctor radioed to the ambulance, “EMT 27, I want you to intubate patient, bag and transport, over.”
“Roger Howard, intubate patient and bag.”
“Correct 27, you need to get as much pure oxygen down that patient’s lungs as possible!”
Grabbing
an intubate tube he slid it down the man’s throat, then connected the bag,
forcing oxygen down the tube directly into the patient’s lungs. As other
ambulances began to arrive, Bob directed them inside to the injured in the
vehicle and called for Steve to get the stretcher. Bob asked if anyone knew these people. John,
the man first on the scene said, “The people that own this RV are named Reed,
but that guys not one of them, I don’t know him.”
As
the police arrived, Bob asked them to get as much information as they could and
relay it to Howard Community. The two paramedics loaded
the patient into the back of the ambulance and prepared to transport him to the
hospital.
As
Bob closed the door, Steve gunned the engine and turned on the siren and
lights. Bob was hooking the man up to
the monitor to check his vitals and relay them back to the hospital emergency
room when suddenly, his heart stopped beating.
“Howard, patient is in cardiac arrest. Steve
what’s our ETA!”
“Twelve
minutes!”
“Howard, I am attempting defibrillation.”
“Roger 27, start patient on 50cc adrenalin and continue to resuscitate.”
After several attempts, “I have a heart beat Howard, ETA is 5 minutes.”
Arriving at the ER, Ruth Lang was the Emergency Room doctor on duty. She was a young woman, with short brown hair, thin and attractive, even in her white coat, glasses and no makeup. She finished her internship only two weeks earlier and took the job at Howard Community yesterday. She was starting her first day with a case that would make the evening news.
“I want a complete oxygen saturation workup.” Said Dr. Lang. For this small town hospital having an acute case of carbon monoxide poisoning was something they were not ready for. Dr. Lang immediately went to her handbook of clinical diagnosis. In it she read that hyperbaric oxygen therapy was a recommended use for acute CO poisoning. No such chamber existed anywhere in the state of Indiana that she knew of. She also read that there was extreme pain associated with this condition.
“Start the patient on liquid valium drip! If it is monoxide poisoning, there is going to be a lot of chest pain.”
Turning to the paramedics she asked, “How long was he in contaminated area?”
“Not sure doc, but he was lying with to 2 DOA’s, could have been all night.”
“I need an EKG machine in here and start saline fluids!”
An ER nurse shouts, “Doctor, the patient has stopped breathing.”
Dr. Lang moves to his side, bending over she says, “Patient has esophagus blockage, his lungs have quit.” Raising her voice, “I need a scalpel, surgical kit and tracheotomy tube now!”
Immediately a shiny silver tray on wheels was moved next to the doctor. One of the nurses had swabbed the patients neck at the point where Dr. Lang was about to cut open. Grabbing the scalpel, she made an incision in the neck just above the chest cavity and inserted the trach tube.
“He’s breathing,” she said with a bit of relief, then quickly returning to the seriousness of the task at hand. “I need that blood carboxyhemoglobin report now. We need to confirm that this is carbon monoxide, and find out who this man is!
****
Two
days earlier, it was a warm September evening, Cindy and I we’re on our way to
Kokomo Indiana, to attend our first Vietnam Reunion. They had been holding this
event for several years, and when Roy and Kathleen invited us, it sounded too
great an occasion to miss. Roy and Kathleen Reed are a couple we met at the
American Legion post after my return from the war to liberate Kuwait. Roy, a
short man with a stocky built, full head of hair and dark complexion, is the
Legion Commander. His wife, Kathleen, a short woman with a slender build and
long red hair had freckles on her face, making her an attractive woman. She was
well known for her kindness and was always ready to lend a helping hand to
anyone who needed it. They explained they were going to attend the reunion
using their recreational vehicle, along with friends Jim and Jenny Banks, also
members of The American Legion. Cindy liked them, enjoyed the camaraderie she
felt, but because of their tendency to drink and argue, she never really wanted
to spend a weekend with them.
I knew all four of them were heavy drinkers,
and with the consumption came the arguments, but the trip was something I felt
I needed to do. It had been over 20 years since I left Vietnam, but the
memories and flash backs from that time in my life were happening again, just
as they did the first few years after my return from the war. I thought that if
I went to this event, met and talked with some other men, possibly going
through the same thing as I, then maybe it would help.
At
first Cindy did not want to go, she would point out that their constant
arguing, fighting and swearing drove her mad. Cindy however loved that I was a
Marine. She proudly stated to anyone with an ear that her husband was a staff
sergeant in the top military organization ever, the United States Marine Corps.
Not my words, hers. She also honored me with the fact that I was a Vietnam
Veteran, and would not allow anyone to put me down. Remembering our trip to
Washington D.C. a few years before the Gulf war, a woman sitting behind us on a
tour bus happened to make, what sounded to Cindy as a derogatory remark, just
as we were passing the Marine Corps Memorial, “Marines are real killers, they
fight and give no mercy.” She said. Turning in her seat to face the woman Cindy
told her, “Yes they are, and because they are you can sit in this bus and speak
critically of them! My husband is a Marine and you’re damn lucky he is.”
“Oh
no,” she cried back, “Please, I have the greatest respect for them and all our
troops.” We never heard another word from that woman the rest of the tour. I
had never felt more pride in Cindy, for what she did that day.
Like
the person she was, thinking only of me, she said, we would attend. The event
ran from Thursday evening until Sunday morning. We made arrangement to meet
them there late Friday night as I had to complete a nights training with my
Marine Corps Reserve unit. During the three hour drive to Kokomo, we talked
about our extended family, our parents, and about the weekend ahead. You see,
we were both from broken marriages. “Hers ending in abuse and mine in
infidelity. Cindy was a beautiful woman. We met at one of the stores I
delivered my products to and soon became fond of each other, dated and eventually
married. Blond hair, blue eyed, with a shapely figure, and the most intriguing
smile I had ever seen.
Our
trip to Kokomo was unexciting. We stopped along the way to eat burgers and
fries. Nothing that occurred during that long drive would indicate what we were
about to experience.
We
arrived late, around midnight and found both couples asleep in the RV. Knocking
on the door, they were glad we finally made it. We made small talk for a while,
and then settled down for the night. Kathleen had our bed all ready for us,
with Jim and Jen sleeping on the pull out sofa toward the front of the RV.
Cindy and I across from them and a little back on the dinette table turned bed;
Roy and Kathleen of course in the rear bedroom. We all fell fast asleep,
tomorrow would be a big day.
I
woke early that September morning, quietly eased my way out of bed so not to
wake Cindy. I smelled coffee percolating outside. Stepping out of the RV,
squinting at a sun filled sky, I noticed Kathleen was standing by a grill
laying bacon on a flat skillet. Though it was still cool, it would warm to a
summer like day before it was over. Kathleen looking up to greet me said,
“Morning
Rick.”
“Morning.”
“Want
some coffee?”
“You
bet I do!” As I grabbed a cup and poured I asked. “Where’s Roy?”
A
voice from behind me said, “I’m right here.”
I
turned to see him walking around from the back of the RV. “What’s going on?” I
said
“Aw,
those people in the tent next to us were complaining that the fume from the
generator’s motor was blowing in their tent last night.”
“Why
don’t they move their damn tent,” said Kathleen, “We were here first!”
As
Roy gave her a look of irritation, I asked him, “What are you going to do?”
“I
just took the sewer hose and taped it to the exhaust pipe and ran it out the
front of the camper, past the engine compartment. That should direct the fumes
away from them.”
“You
think that will work?”
“It
better, it’s going to be nice today, but tonight it’s gonna be cold, down in
the lower 40’s.”
Cindy
came walking out of the RV, I handed her the coffee I had poured for myself and
gave her a good morning kiss. Breakfast of eggs and bacon always seemed to
taste better when you’re cooking and eating them outdoors. Cindy was a smoker,
I had quit almost ten years earlier, so when she sat next to the Reed’s to have
her morning cigarette, I sat across from them and up wind. Jenny and Jim came
out and joined us. Jim, like Roy and I was a Vietnam Veteran. He and his wife Jenny
had attended this event for the last three years. Jim was an overweight man,
balding, and in his mid-forties, a little older than me. He was a jolly guy
until he started drinking, then his boisterous attitude would get the best of
him. Jenny was a small lady with a slender build, much like Kathleen, however
she showed her age more readily. We all shared breakfast, sat, talked and
enjoyed the sun warming the day
Those
two couples got along so well with each other, until someone disagreed with
another. That morning, even though there was no drinking, an argument started.
Cindy signaled me with her Hand, and the two of us were on our way. As we
walked, I turned back and said,
“We’ll see you guys tonight, we’re going to
stroll around and take in all the sights. We’ll be back in time for dinner and
to go with you to listen to the band.”
“Make
sure you do,” said Roy, “The music tonight is Stones impersonators, supposed to
be real good.”
“No
problem, see you later.” With that we were off.
“Those
guys are always arguing.” I said.
“That’s
why I didn’t want to come,” said Cindy, “But I’m glad we did, this is really
nice.”
Walking
through the grounds, we found venders selling all things pertaining to Vietnam.
There where stands with military patches, arm bands, hats of all types and even
Vietnam an era uniform. The most
interesting item we found that day was a veteran’s book where you could sign
your name, unit, and the date and time you had spent in Nam. Other Vets at that
event could then read the book and check those dates against their own time in
country, trying to see if they match. We searched the book for anyone I might
know, despondently we found no one.
The
day continued to warm, and the sunshine never quit. We walked all over holding
hands, spending that time together. At lunch we had sandwiches from a vendor
and ate while sitting under a tree in full fall blossom. I could not have picked
a better day to spend with the one I loved.
As
evening approached, we passed a table that was advertising for non-
denominational Sunday services. Asking Cindy if she wanted to attend got a
response of, “We’ll see,” which usually meant, no. Cindy always said she
believed in God, she just could not see attending church every Sunday. Our
faith was something that was at the short end of our lives.
Returning
to the RV site, we found Roy and Kathleen preparing dinner. Kathleen loved to
cook outdoors and the meal she was preparing was fit for an RV commercial.
Steak smothered in onions with potatoes frying in a pan with butter and garlic.
Neither Cindy nor I had any alcohol that day, but once back at the RV, we
indulged in a few beers.
After
dinner we gathered our folding chairs and Headed down to the band stand for the
evening’s entertainment. The veterans were gathering early and we searched for
a good location to sit and listen to the music. It was evident that the size of
the crowd was in the thousands, much larger than any other Vietnam reunion held
here before tonight. Pulling a cooler behind us, in it our cold beer and a
bottle of Red Rum for shots, we were looking forward to an evening of music and
merry. The Rolling Stones impersonators were as good as advertised. Listening
to such hits as, “Satisfaction” and “Time is on my Side,” had the crowd
cheering and dancing on the grass. It was a great evening but the cold weather
was rolling in.
When
the entertainment started the temperature was still in the upper 60’s, but
within an hour of the music starting, it had dropped in to the 50’s. The winds
increased the chill in the air, which gave the Reed’s, along with Jim and Jenny
more reason to do their shots. Cindy and I had a few, but we were not intending
to get drunk that night. We wanted to get an early start in the morning, so our
evening was ending. Back at the RV, we settled down with some coffee and left
over dinner. As the others began arriving, the two of us crawled into our bed
for a night’s sleep.
All
the drinking by the group had them turning in for the night as well. It was
around 9 p.m. surprisingly, neither couple did any arguing that night. Jenny
was drunk and Jim was half way to the stars himself. Roy and Kathleen were
definitely high, but I would not say they were intoxicated. Turning on the
generator to allow the furnace heat to run, Roy never went to check on the make
shift exhaust he devised, to see if it was still in the same place he had left
it.
Cindy
and I fell asleep in each other’s arms. No one knew for sure what happened, but
during that night, the exhaust fumes began to enter the cabin. Jim would later
account that he would wake, dizzy, confused and needing to use the bathroom. He
found his wife Jenny had wet herself so he laid her on the floor next to the
bed. When he reached the bathroom, just in front of Roy and Kathleen’s bedroom,
he passed out falling to the floor. In the early hours of the morning, we all
lost control of our bodily fluids.
****
Back
in the emergency room, “We have a possible ID on this patient Doctor. We are
attempting to contact his family using the tattoos on his arms for positive
identification.”
Doctor
Lang responds, “As soon as any family arrives, I need to speak with them. Do we
have blood carboxyhemoglobin results?”
“Yes
Doctor, his percent of total hemoglobin is 80%.”
“Are they sure? With that percent, he
shouldn’t be alive!”
“Yes,
the test was run twice, and confirmed.”
“We
can assume that with all the oxygen he has already received before the test,
his hemoglobin had to be near the 90 % range. That means all his organs,
including his brain has been suffering from cerebral hypoxia for
God knows how long. I want the following test run, CT scan on his cranium, an
Echocardiogram, and Electrocardiogram; I need to know how his heart is
responding. Get an EEG (Electroencephalogram,) for brain activity. Find out who
the neurologist on call is and get him down here. I want Evoked Potentials, see
if he has any vision and touch sensations reaching his brain. Start mechanical
ventilation, 100 % oxygen is our best recourse and after 30 minutes, run
another blood saturation test.”
Dr.
Lang moved her eyes to the monitor recording the vitals. Seeing the patient’s
blood pressure was still very low she said, “Start an IV of blood, I want to
get his pressure up.”
A sudden thrashing by the patient pulled out
the intravenous lines from his arms. Dr. Lang grabbed him called out to other
health care workers in the emergency room.
“I need help over here!” As others rush to the
Doctors aid, she continues “Get straps and secure him. These seizures are
caused by the severity of the CO. As soon as you get his IV’s reattached, start
him on phenytoin, that should help calm him down.”
“Yes
Doctor.”
No comments:
Post a Comment